NSW Jewish Board of Deputies Resolution on Brunei passed at Plenum on April 16 2019.
The NSW Jewish Board of Deputies:
- Reaffirms its policy and that of the Executive Council of Australian Jewry (ECAJ):
- calling for respect for the sanctity of the lives and dignity of all people; and
- opposing any public or private conduct that incites hatred, ridicule or contempt of another person or class of persons on the ground of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Joins with the ECAJ and:
- deplores the recent criminalisation of same-sex relationships between consenting adults under Brunei’s Syariah Penal Code, with punishments ranging from whipping and imprisonment through to death by stoning;
- condemns the government of Brunei for introducing a law that mandates the brutal repression, persecution and death of LGBTIQ people;
- commends Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Shadow Foreign Minister Penny Wong, among others, for publicly expressing to the government of Brunei their strong opposition to the new law; and
- calls on the Australian government to make known its opposition to the legally-sanctioned persecution and vilification of LGBTIQ people to the governments of all countries in which such persecution and vilification occurs.