Forum: Change and Suppression Practices in the Jewish Community
A forum for our community to learn about the LGBTQA+ Change and Suppression (Conversion) Practices Bill that is before Victorian parliament.
Date And Time:Wed, 20 January 2021
5:30 PM – 7:00 PM AEDT
About this Event
Jewish Care invites you to a unique community forum to discuss LGBTQA+ conversion practices (sometimes called ‘conversion therapy’) and the current Change and Suppression (Conversion) Practices Prohibition Bill.
The forum is being co-hosted with the Brave Network, a survivor support and advocacy group, and SOGICE Survivors, a national advocacy and research group, and supported by Courage to Care, a national upstander education initiative of B’nai B’rith. The forum will provide our community an opportunity to learn about conversion practices, hear global and local research about prevalence and harm, and the journey that led to the development of the Victorian bill. It will outline the contents of the bill, but more importantly how the community can show support to both survivors of conversion practices and this bill being passed into law.
The event’s panel will include:
- Rabbi Gersh Lazarow (he/him), Temple Beth Israel
- Samuel Murray (he/they), Jewish Care Executive and LGBTI+ Liaison Officer
- Patrick McIvor (he/him), Brave Network
- Nathan Despott (he/they), Brave Network and SOGICE Survivors
- Nicola Kolb (she/her), community member and survivor ally
- Jarod Rhine-Davis (he/him), 2020 B’nai B’rith Changemaker Leadership Award recipient
- Leah Boulton (she/her), Founder and Executive Officer, Pathways Melbourne. www.pathwaysmelbourne.org
- Dr Gávi Ansara (he/him), Clinical Psychotherapist, Clinical Family Therapist, and founder of Rosh Pinah, An Affirming Orthodox Jewish Network
Once you register, you will receive a confirmation email.
The Zoom link for the event will be sent shortly before the event.