Multicultural voices in support of the Change or Suppression (Conversion) Practices Prohibition Bill 2020
Wednesday 9 December 2020
Various multi-faith, multicultural LGBTQ+ and allied voices have written an open letter in support of the Change or Suppression (Conversion) Practices Prohibition Bill 2020 currently before the Victorian Parliament.
The letter is signed by:
- Ghassan Kassisieh, Legal Director, Equality Australia and author of the ‘We’re Family Too’ report
- Dr Judy Tang, Victorian Multicultural Commissioner and ex-President of Australian LGBTIQ+ Multicultural Council
- Dr Maria Pallotta-Chiarolli, Research lead and founding member of Australian LGBTIQ+ Multicultural Council (AGMC); Gender & Sexuality Studies, Deakin University
- Cedric Yin-Cheng, Chief Executive Officer, Australia & New Zealand Tongzhi Rainbow Alliance Inc (ANTRA)
- Abanob Saad, Conversion Practice Survivor and Founder, Queer Middle-Eastern and African Christians in Australia (QMEACA)
- Benjamin Oh and Molina Asthana, Co-Convenors, Asian Australian Alliance (AAA)
- Budi Sudarto, Director, Ananda Training & Consultancy and Member of Queer Muslims in Australia
- Ken Dumandan, President, Acceptance Melbourne LGBTIQ+ Catholics
- Dr Reem Sweid, Founder and former President of Muslim Collective; Faculty Member, Alfred Deakin Research Institute for Citizenship and Globalisation, Deakin University
- Nathan Despott, Brave Network
- Michael Barnett, Co-convenor, Aleph Melbourne
- Bhante Akāliko Bhikkhu, Rainbodhi LGBTQIA+ Buddhist Community
0418 432 030
On August 2 2020 Michael Barnett from Aleph Melbourne participated in “The Aguda – Pride in the Livingroom” Project. Watch Michael tell his story:
The Aguda – The Association for LGBTQ Equality in Israel has organised a diverse series of international Jewish LGBTIQ+ speakers who will be coming to you live from their living rooms over the week of August 3-7 2020.
“Pride In The Living Room” was founded in memory of the 2009 “Tel Aviv Gay Center” shooting victims, and in memory of the Jerusalem Pride parade stabbing in 2015. The project arose from the need to share and expose the public to personal stories of the LGBTQ community. Through these stories, we as Jewish LGBTQ community members – can build inspiring and powerful connections between the LGBTQ community and the general public – ALL ACROSS the world, inside our local Jewish communities, in Israel and abroad.
Join “The Aguda” – the Israeli Association for LGBTQ Equality in Israel, in hearing the unique stories of our Global Jewish LGBTQ community, and help us in spreading our common values of love, acceptance, tolerance, and “Tikun Olam.”
Check out the speaker list and event details on their Facebook page here.
Speakers from Aleph Melbourne include founding member Shaun Miller and co-convenor Michael Barnett.
Join Michael at 7pm on Sunday August 2. Details here.
Join Shaun at 7pm on Thursday August 6. Details here.
Events will be streamed live on both Zoom and Facebook.
On July 3 2020 the Australian Jewish News published an opinion piece by Michael Barnett from Aleph Melbourne addressing in part some concerns from a May 15 AJN opinion piece criticising the Zionist Federation of Australia for participating in Pride March.JNMEL_A_03072020_015